Monday 8 June 2009

Time for some Manga!


Well, it's been some time since I've reported on some Manga, I've decided to have a 'Manga of the Month' and 'Manga of the week' reccomendation system in order for me not to fall out of the habit. So for this month's Manga, I've decided to write about a paticular Shoujo Manga (girl's Manga) that I paticularly admire. It's called Gekka No Kimi, www.onemanga.com/Gekka_no_Kimi


This series is designated for fans of romance and history, ivery much love the draping Kimono's and Yukatas, I think they're beautiful and well drawn in this series. Well, the story can be considered 2 plots in one. This is because a loose adaptation of an old folk story 'The Tales of Genji' is portrayed in paralell with the story of a modern day couple.

The events that which happen in 'The Tales of Genji' transfer and modify themselves in order to occur in the modern day tale, hence you can see the occurrences that happened 1000 years ago, and what they would be like had they happened in these modern, urban times.

The drawing is very very good, I'm a fan of the mangaka (Ako Shimaki) as I quite like her feminine drawings, but I like how they're not typical and how each panel has a sort of silkiness to it, I'm also grateful for the lack of overt use of background tones... when you see flowers and blossoms in virtually every slide it's gets boring. Maybe I'm being over descriptice, but at the end of the day: the drawings are nice to look at. Being a female-audienced series I don't recommend it for the boys, plus they'd get bored with all the sophistication.

I reccomend this, but not soo much as it's not one of the best out there, it's a very very good shoujo though, however there is an over-use of girly poses on the male protagonist , which is not very good. There are also scenes of an adult nature so not one for the kids either. Overall, an enjoyable, fresh and new read. Dessa ratings = 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment